July 23, 2011

Steampunk Treasures

I felt like I'd found buried treasure when I discovered this faux leather backgammon set at the thrift store for only $1.00. I knew that I wanted to use steampunk images to decorate the exterior, but the brown surface had to go. Thus began my experiment with materials that generally are not compatible with a synthetic surface, but perseverance and a light hand created the results I was seeking. I love finding inspiration at a bargain price. Here are the results.

2011 08 LRoberts Steampunk Backgammon game front

2011 08 LRoberts Steampunk Treasures Backgammon game open

I love the Oxford Impressions stamps: The Deep, Steampunk Works, and Steampunk Elements. This was a simple transformation with Claudine Hellmuth Studio products, Tim Holtz™ Adirondack® Color Wash, and Archival™ ink. You'll find the details on pages 96 - 97 of the August 2011 issue of Crafts 'n things.