October 5, 2008

A Matter of Imagination

The tray had been a fixture on our porch for years, and the once rich finish showed the effects of constant exposure to the elements. When Crafts 'n Things editor Dawn Gehring suggested a Christmas home decor project, I knew this was the perfect project to repurpose a favorite piece. You'll have to check the December 2008 issue to see the tray itself, but a few swipes of Espresso paint with an Adirondack® Acrylic Paint Dabber gave the tray new life.
I envisioned big, bold flowers and leaves. Since the poinsettia stamps that I had on hand were not the size that I wanted, I turned to large foam leaf and circle stamps to create the images that I envisioned. As with the foam stamp Christmas cards, I used Adirondack® Acrylic Paint Dabbers and Adirondack® Metallic Acrylic Paint Dabbers to mix my paints right on the stamps. I believe I achieved the bold look that I had in mind!
Lynn Roberts 01 Foam Stamp Poinsettia Tray
Now for a closer look. When I think of Christmas, I think of glitter and glitz, and the fun part of the project was adding those details. Adirondack® Dimensional Pearls, Stickles™ Glitter Glue, and Perfect Pearls™ pack a glamour punch and the Inkssentials™ White Opaque Pen adds subtle accents.
Lynn Roberts 02 Foam Stamp Poinsettia Detail

As for the glass charms, Tim Holtz™ Adirondack® Alcohol Inks and Metallic Mixatives quickly transformed jewelry findings into coordinating pieces. Rather sophisticated if I do say so.
Lynn Roberts Tray and Glass Charms
For additional details, see pages 52-53 in the December 2008 issue of Crafts 'n Things.