July 5, 2009

Better Backgrounds: Irresistible Resist

Techniques have a way of morphing. I remember a demonstration of faux antiquing I saw years ago: white paint applied over a clear image embossed on black cardstock. Definitely shabby chic. Later, I learned a technique called kaleidoscope or Joseph’s Coat: black ink brayered over a clear image embossed on marker-colored cardstock, a similar process.
While experimenting recently, I believe I achieved a completely different look with Adirondack® Dye Inks, Adirondack® Acrylic Paint Dabbers, and Inkssentials™ Gloss Paper. Two cards resulting from my experiment may be found on page 95 of the August issue of Crafts 'n Things. Both feature stamps by Fred B. Mullett.
First, my "Wonderful Peppers" card. I think these pepper stamps are wonderful! I hope that you will click on the card to see the details. The Classic K Bailey Ornamental Rub-On (K & Company) is a perfect complement for this hot number!
2009 08 LRoberts BB Irresistible Resist Wonderful Peppers Rub On Card
Next, "Simply Shrimp." I'd admired the Lori’s Shrimp stamp and think that Lil’ Flying Fish is a nice partner. The rich colors of the inks provide a sharp contrast to the pastel paint. No further embellishment required!
2009 08 LRoberts BB Irresistible Resist Simply Shrimp Card
Below, two cards that you won't see in the magazine and more stamps by Fred B. Mullett.
First, "Testing the Water." I wanted to use the rather large sticker (EK Success) and that required large stamps, Blue Bobo and Big Kelp. Big stamps also mean that lots of color shows through the paint. Take a peak!
2009 08 LRoberts BB Irresistible Resist Testing the Water Sticker Card
Now, "Through the Window." I wanted to see how a transparency might work with this background and thought the Printables ERA Transparency by Prima fit the bill. It looks to me like the Mushroom and Ground Ivy are peaking through the window.
2009 08 LRoberts BB Irresistible Resist Through the Window Transparency Card
For detailed information, see page 95 of the August issue of Crafts 'n Things. With or without further adornment or with the embellishment of your choice, this resist technique is irresistible!