May 4, 2008

Playing with the Bandanna Technique

When I first saw Robin Beam's Bandanna technique, I was enchanted. (Robin is Director of Education for Ranger Industries and a creative wonder. Scroll down to the plaque in the middle of her post to see what I'm talking about.) I've always been a doodler, and I found the combination of doodling and stamping fascinating. I knew I had to give it a try.

I used the Wrinkle Free Distress Technique to create my backgrounds but that is optional. To play, you'll just need a few stamps, Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink, a Ranger Inkssentials White Pen, and a black pen. After stamping all my images, this was a perfect project to pull out when I only had a few minutes to work. I must say that I found this to be a relaxing technique.

While Robin's projects clearly reminded me of bandanna prints, mine took a slightly different twist. This is an opportunity to do it your way! You can let a lot of background show as with my dragonfly card or leave little showing as with my crow. (It could be that I just don't know when to stop!)



Above Left: Magenta Dragonfly, Hero Arts "Flower" Asterisks, and Inque Chanteuse

Above Right: Invoke Arts Sweet Tweet, Hero Arts "Flower" Asterisks and Circles, Wisecracks Diamond, Magenta Pointed Star, and Autumn Leaves Flourishes V2



Above all stamps by Autumn Leaves: Nature - Butterfly, Flourishes, and Flourishes V2 (Notice the subtle stippling inside the butterfly on the left.)

 

Above: Autumn Leaves Nature and Magenta Pointed Star



Above: Inque Chanteuse, Hero Arts "Flower" Asterisks, and Magenta Pointed Star

Here are more examples of Robin's bandanna technique. While Robin is recuperating from knee surgery, she's posted a contest for Bandanna Technique cards and more Bandanna ideas. Check out the details here. This could be a great way to get the creative juices going, and there are some great prizes.