May 8, 2010

Ooh La La Fan & Card Set

Does this happen to you? Do you ever begin with a project in mind and end up in a completely different place? This is what I'm talking about.
I'm not sure why we have what I grew up calling "funeral parlor" fans in our comfortably air conditioned church. It could be that others, like me, reminisce about similar fans they used while attending church with a grandparent, or it could be this is an effective manner to deal with changing female hormones. Either way, I originally planned to create a useable hand fan. Something happened along the way, and that fan grew into the full sized wall art project below. (And by the way, I really hope that you'll purchase the magazine to see a much better image. The photographer did a beautiful job in capturing the details including the elegant black bow.)
2010 06 LRoberts Ooh La La Fan 0
I'm going to blame this change in direction on Suzanne Melvin. First, her stamps were just too beautiful for me to choose just one focal image. Next, I realized that the accompanying flourishes and borders could be used to define sectional pieces. This fan definitely reminds me of a time when such fans were a necessity and life was much slower. The beautiful images from Oxford Impressions may be found on these plates: Marie Antoinette, Le Beau Monde, and French Script.
My best description for the accompanying card is "foo foo." I love the contrast between the pink feathered lady and the elegant coach. Another beautiful French lady from Suzanne.
2010 06 LRoberts Pomp and Circumstance Card
For directions (and better pictures!) see the June 2010 issue of Crafts 'n Things. Ranger®Inkssentials™ Gloss Paper, Archival™ Ink, Tim Holtz™ Distress Ink, products used include Adirondack® Dye Ink, Adirondack® Acrylic Paint Dabber, and Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi Medium Gloss.