June 20, 2008

Random Arts: Sensory Overload

When I mentioned my visit to Random Arts earlier this spring, I was generally met with a quizzical expression. It's difficult to explain why it is truly "worth it" to spend the time and gas for a trip to Saluda, North Carolina. Granted, this spring our vacation to nearby Asheville brought us to the area, but last week end I made the journey just to take classes. My spring pictures highlighted the outside of the shop and the quaintness of the area. This trip, we'll look inside.

1Random Arts stamps metal lace ribbon

When you walk into the Random Arts, this is the view to your right. I think the title of this post says it all: sensory overload. In addition to the stamps you find displayed throughout the store, there are treasures tucked into every nook and cranny. Don't miss the collage bags in the lower right hand corner of this photo - color coordinated offerings: ribbons, buttons, and tidbits for the multi media artist, stamper, or scrapbooker looking for that perfect embellishment. The fabric hanging below the bags is simply luscious. In the bottom left, you'll find magical solutions to transform mesh or metals and samples to stimulate experimentation. It will be difficult to move on, but there is more to be seen.

 2Random Arts books metal tidbits

The picture above should give you an idea of why it's easy to spend an afternoon in this relatively small shop. I couldn't resist looking in every drawer and browsing through the related books. The displays will allure you to try something new.

 4Random Arts samples

Looking for inspiration? Above, the walls provide an endless bounty of ideas to touch and explore. Jane Powell and her staff are knowledgeable and more than willing to share their expertise. Below, the cash wrap is almost buried under product and samples. I've never resisted adding something to my purchase while checking out. This time, it was newly arrived bird charms.

 3Random Arts cash wrap

If this sounds like a commercial for Random Arts, I can't help it. Friends share their favorite places with friends. I just wish I lived a little closer!