April 5, 2008

A Happy Detour to Random Arts

What comes to mind when you consider a vacation to Asheville, NC? Biltmore Estates? The Montford or Grove Park Historic District? The art deco structures in downtown? These are a few of the many reasons Asheville is a fabulous tourist destination, but when my husband mentioned a trip, my first thought was Random Arts. How could I resist the opportunity to return to Saluda! Just 30 miles southeast of Asheville and a straight shot down Interstate 26, I knew this was a must add destination to our trip.

Last year, I had the pleasure of attending two Michael deMeng workshops at Random Arts. (More on that in the next post.) Saluda is a quaint town that is worth a visit on its own merits. This trip, the cherry trees were in full bloom, and the main street stores, as always, invited strolling consideration.

My first glance inside Random Arts was, as in my prior experience, a sensory overload. First, I walked through to get an overview of what was in stock. Then, it was a leisurely review for initial shopping choices followed by systematic investigation of every nook and cranny. Every place I looked, there were new treasures as well as samples that had me drooling. This was the best shopping fix since I was in Saluda last spring!
The shopping is great, but the thing that really makes Random Arts special is the owner, Jane Powell. Featured in the September/October 2007 issue of Cloth Paper Scissors, Jane and her staff make any visit to Random Arts a heartwarming experience. They exude enthusiasm for their craft and treat each customer as a special guest.
I knew that Jane should be busy packing for the shop's upcoming road trip, but she made me feel like there was nothing that she would rather do than to chat (and pose for the picture below.) The shop has a great selection of stamps, beautiful handmade papers, and unique items that can be used for embellishment or the foundation for a project, but it is the people who make this a place I consider a must visit.


If you, like me, find that travel takes you nearby, you'll want to detour to Random Arts in Saluda. You won't regret it!