April 24, 2009

Between the Pages

Before I post about the projects that I have in the June 2009 issue of Crafts ‘n Things, there are three things in this issue that I want to point out. First, check out the cover. Is this not the coolest!
200906CnT
Earlier this year, I noticed college students wearing galoshes. I soon realized that it had nothing to do with the weather. Rather, it was a fashion statement. I’ve never paid much attention to trends, but the boots on the cover definitely grabbed my attention. Lime and hot pink have always been a favorite spring color combination for me. The added orange makes this a real color WOW. Who knows, the instructions make it look so easy. I might even give this a try and make a fashion splash. I’d have the correct footwear!
The next thing that caught my eye was a picture in the contents area. The stamps looked familiar. (After reading the article, I realized that I own but have never used the set. Anyone else do that?) I was intrigued because I couldn’t figure out what products were used. I was pleased to discover the jewelry was created by Margot Potter, The Impatient Crafter™. (Even if you’re not into jewelry or crafting, you’re bound to get a laugh out of Margot’s videos.)
Margot used techniques in the article similar to those you will find on her blog in a recycled jewelry project. Of course, I’m really partial to her “faux enameled jewelry” in Crafts ‘n Things. Stamped projects are always among my favorites. I might even pull out that unused stamp set.
After checking out the contents pages, I began my quick flip through the magazine. I like to “see” every page before I start back at the beginning to savor every word. I stopped at page 100, a pair of cards titled “Angels among Us.” My thought was, “I’ve got to tell . . . Wait a minute. I don’t need to point out these cards to Jen. Jen made them.”
I met Jen Lowe several years ago at Ranger University. Even then, her style was quite distinctive. If you ever need inspiration, check out her blog. Jen is a prolific blogger and fills each day with creativity.
I’ve mentioned my discoveries. I look forward to posting about my projects for this issue next.