March 1, 2010

Better Backgrounds: Paint Scraping

I've always thought of my mother as a "real" artist because she worked in oils, acrylics, and watercolors. Years later, I still remember watching her coach the last bit of color from those precious tubes. She would then use the same technique that I have used below to create rich, vibrate backgrounds.
In my first card, you can see the beauty of the Claudine Hellmuth Studio Paints with no additional adornment. This is a background that can definitely stand on its own.
2010 04 LRoberts Better Backgrounds Paint Scraping Red Rules Card
Next, see what happens when you add embossing with Adirondack® Pigment Ink and Christmas Tree Embossing Antiquities™. Definitely an appropriate background for this sophisticated stamp, Abundance by B Line Designs.
2010 04 LRoberts Better Backgrounds Paint Scraping Abundance Card

For the details of this technique, see page 59 of the April 2010 issue of Crafts ‘n Things.