March 30, 2008

30 Second Backgrounds

This was one of those serendipity moments. I'd been working with Ranger's Adirondack Color Wash all afternoon. Normally, I mist my craft sheet with water and clean up by making additional background pages. After making a stack of extra backgrounds, I cleaned the craft sheet with a paper towel.

I decided to try stamping on glossy paper with the wet paper towel. The results were unbelievable. The texture of the towel and the brilliant colors transferred to paper creating a stunning background in less than 30 seconds. In January 2007, the Rubber Stamper featured these five cards using this technique. I stamped all images with Ranger Archival Ink.




I used these stamps:
  • Chocolate: Afternoon Tea by Oxford Impressions
  • Strength of a Tree: Oak Branch by Stampscapes; Strength by Custer’s Last Stamp
  • Memories Are Forever: Memories Are Forever by Limited Edition
  • Eyes for You: Shaving Mug by Artful Legacy; Eyes by 100 Proof Press; Harlequin Diamonds by Post Modern Design; Old Writing by Hero Arts; Thank You by Stampabilities
  • Forest Sunrise and Stream: Forest Sunrise and Stream, Bush, and Sedge Filler by Northwoods

Here are two additional cards that include images from Suze Weinberg Instant Art book. “SECRET” is stamped with the Postmodern Design Reverse Block Alphabet. “Live, Laugh, Love” is by American Art Stamp.




Heat set your backgrounds for the best results. You'll still be under 30 seconds. That's what I call fast!