March 30, 2008

But It Didn't Start Out That Way . . . . . Subtitle: How does frilly turn vintage?

Yesterday, I was working away on the computer when the lightening started. When you've experienced fried television sets and VCR's, it's easier to shut things down and unplug than to try to remember where the warranties are for the surge protectors.
I planned to return to the computer when the storm passed, so I didn't want to begin a major project. I decided that decorating the plain chipboard notebook I'd found earlier in the week in the dollar bin at Walgreen's would be a fun afternoon project. This is where I began.

My initial thought was to make something girly, a cute notebook for my purse. After a plain coat of gesso, I decided to add texture and depth with the next coat. An old credit card, punchinello, and plastic mesh were perfect tools.
While I was waiting for the gesso to dry, I ran across a package of beautiful embossed paper napkins that I'd purchased from Tuesday Morning at the outrageous price of $3.49 for the package of twelve. I rationalized that they were from Germany and that I might actually use the leaf embossed napkins for a special lunch. I decided to limit that future luncheon to eleven people as I pulled out one for my project.
My first thought was to add a small piece of the napkin along one side of the front, but the leaf design seemed to be absorbed by the matte medium. I realized that it would take several layers to build a base for the embossed leaves. There went all that great texture that I'd gessoed on the front.
These leaves were elegant, and I still envisioned a delicate notebook. I pulled out the new Sandy Smith owl that I'd bought earlier this week and the "to teach" stamp (Anita's) that I've always found an inspiration. I stamped the images on white tissue with Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink and layered them atop the napkins.
Although I realized that my notebook would no longer have a frilly look to it, I still envisioned an elegant style. That was before I started slobbering on the Ranger Distress Inks. I don't know how it happens. Even when I intend to create a project that is bright and cheery, my projects take a vintage turn. It's not what I intended, but what a great result. My 2/$1.00 notebook has the look of worn, expensive leather.

A couple of things that I should confess: First, I forgot to cover the vinyl-like edging when I sprayed the covers with a matte sealer. My favorite solution for a sticky surface is application of Perfect Pearls. Having used a heavy hand with the Distress Inks, I touched up the saying and the owl with a Faber-Castell Pitt pen.
Back to the title of this post. Where did I go wrong? No matter how hard I try to do cute, I usually end up in the world of grunge. I think it's just my style!