March 29, 2008

Scrapperdashery Paper Weaving

You could count on it. When I was in elementary school, the seasons were marked by place mats woven from construction paper strips. Halloween was orange and black, Christmas was red and green, and Easter was pastel blue and pink. The sameness of weaving those paper strips was comforting. (You can be sure that I also had a potholder loom!)
My fond memories inspired me to try paper weaving with these Scrapperdashery papers. If you click on the images, you will see these projects are woven with a twist. The strips that I used for weaving are straight, but the base mats were cut in waves. Using a different part of the patterned paper to weave through these waves gives a childhood technique a sophisticated flair.
I don't know about you, but I always find it a challenge to create "manly" projects. I think this notebook fits the bill. I painted the edges and back with Ranger's Adirondack Acrylic Dabbers for a finished look, added a woven paper section to the top, and stamped the Paper Artsy image with Jet Black Ranger Archival Ink on the bottom. Notice how the use of the darker strip in the top helps to add focus and balance to the piece.


It's always easier for me to create feminine projects. First, I covered the entire mini clipboard with Scrapperdashery paper adding color to the sides with a coordinating Ranger Adirondack Acrylic Dabber. A paper weaving section, chipboard paper covered flower with inked edges, and ribbon for foo-foo. I stamped "mom" on a piece of scrap paper and attached the acrylic tag to the paper. Any mom would love this!

A simple paper mache box becomes a treasure when a little paint and this woven sentiment. First, I painted the box with Ranger Adirondack Acrylic Dabbers. I created the fun circles with two Dabbers by using less pressure to stamp the second circle on top of the larger one. In this case, I cut wavy lines into the base paper itself rather than adhering a woven piece to my project. I purposely left the woven strips untrimmed to tie the sentiment to the box.

Two more projects below. The father card shows the subtle approach while the mother card is more distinctive. Any way you look at it, this is fun!