April 12, 2008

No Way

The seed idea for this album – a newsflash about an “elderly” woman feared to be the victim of foul play. The woman didn’t look elderly to me. After the commercial, I learned that she was 69. Elderly? My mental response: No way!

This caused me to think. Sometimes I wish that I really “knew” my parents and grandparents, the facts and details of their lives and more importantly, the whys of what they did. What did my grandmother think when forced to “retire” from teaching to marry my grandfather. What was it like for my mother to grow up on a farm in Kansas? What were my father’s innermost thoughts when he served in the European theater during World War II? It’s too late for me to get answers to these questions, but with one of those “big” birthdays approaching – one that ends in a zero, I decided it was time to do an album to document this time in my life. I’m not 69, but I want my children to know that I’m nowhere close to elderly. My life is rich and full. I want them to know that, and I want to give them a glimpse of the reasons behind my involvement in the things I do.



I decided to use two of my favorites, paint and glitter, for this page. Ranger
Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers are so easy to use with foam stamps, and there is nothing more fun than playing with Ranger Stickles Glitter Glue. (I drew with the Stickles and at times smeared it around with the tip of my finger.) It’s amazing the depth that can be added by outlining with black and white pens and with the addition of a little glitter glue. Plain foam stamps gain a three dimensional quality with these simple additions.