April 5, 2008

Speaking of Michael deMeng

It's a looooong way from my house to any of the big name art retreats or workshops, so when I saw that Michael deMeng would teach at Random Arts last spring, I decided that it would be worth the six hour drive (each way) to attend.
Michael is the author of the recent release, Secrets of Rusty Things: Transforming Found Objects into Art. His work focuses on the "transformation" of the common into works of art. While Michael's art tends to take a turn to the "dark" side, I was primarily interested in gaining information about the basics of three dimensional construction.
One of the classes that I took was assemblage (pronounced as you would collage.) We began with a plain cigar box and used Liquid Nails to attach the pieces and parts that would find new purpose in our work. (Yes, that is a plastic pig on the front of my creation!) The transformation came in how Michael mixed and applied the Golden acrylics. (This alone was worth the price of the workshop.)
While I was thrilled with my project and all that I had learned, I know that my box was a puzzle to some of my friends (and that's to put it mildly!) I think the important thing was that everyone who participated was able to work within the comfort of his or her own style. Believe it or not, there were some whose work had a clean, elegant look, there were a couple that had a folk art touch, and then there was mine. Whatever the style, I think that each of us left with a satisfying experience and affirmation from a great teacher.


Above: the outside and inside of my project
Below: a closer look at the inside of the box


By the way, I noticed that Michael will be at Random Arts again this spring. Check out his "Found Object Book Assemblage" and "Morpheus Box" here. You would not be disappointed in any class you took from him.